I suffer from PMT
I’m not alone, there are millions of us who do.
I’m 48 now (shock horror, how the hell did that happen). Alongside PMT I now get hot sweats… the start of the menopause, but still all the joys of monthly bleeding, cramps and emotional distress..
Its taken me until now to really realise what is happening(to me)
Every month this happens:
- I get anxious – to varying degrees
- My boobs become painful
- My skin flairs up, it itches, gets spotty, gets drier in some places, greasier in others
- I could eat the entire contents of a sweet shop and still want more
- I become intolerent (more so!)
- I get clumsy and accident prone
- I becomer more forgetful
Every 3rd or 4th month some or all of these symptoms are worse
- I am so anxious I can’t function
- My boobs are so tender they hurt when I walk or turn in my sleep. My bras hurt – on or off.
- My skin is so inflamed I can’t hide it with makeup, I need antibiotic cream on prescription to abate it
- I’m not safe behind a wheel as my spacial awareness is shot… driving is a really bad idea
- I break things by missing the counter top or knocking into things
- I become so tired and at the same time sleepless that I cannot function ‘in the real world ‘ for a day
- oh… and the blinding migraines that make me vomit and vomit and vomit
The medical system does not recognise PMT properly, for me its a disabilitating condition at least 4 times a year… I cannot drive to work, I cannot hold a meeting, engage in a debate, have a balanced conversation. When I worked in an office and covered a territory by car this illness both physical and mental had a profound impact on my attendance and performance.
For years and years and years I’ve had individual symptoms treated. I’ve discussed with the doctor (various doctors) that I felt many of my problems were hormonal or exacerbated by hormones. NEVER. Not once did any of them, male or female acknowledge, discuss, or access this as a possibility.
I’m not alone.
I’m not even an extreme exception.
Why is all so difficult?
How are you affected ? What are your experiences with your doctor? Or Employer?